How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, age 25, and a U.S. Citizen married his Bulgarian fiancé in Bulgaria.he has returne

Customer Question

My son, age 25, and a U.S. Citizen married his Bulgarian fiancé in Bulgaria.he has returned to the change his marital status. They want to move to England while she gets her masters degree. What does my son need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
He will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit in order to come to the UK with her and settle here. He will need to apply for it before he can travel. The government webpage on the application is here:
Once he has come to the UK on his family permit he will be eligible to apply to the home office for an EEA residence card which confirms his right of residence in the UK for 5 years on the basis of the marriage:-
It will either take the form of an endorsement in her passport or as a separate immigration status document confirming her right to reside here for 5 years.
At the end of this time she will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if he wishes and has not spent significant time outside the UK.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does he need to change his marital status as being married to a Bulgarian citizen. If so, how does he do that? She remained in Bulgaria while he returned to get this accomplished.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is obviously not from outside the European Economic area. This says both must be.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
The family permit is absolutely the correct application that he should make. it requires that one of the spouses is EEA National in or coming to the United kingdom.
Basically, if he is married then he can already apply for this visa. The evidence that he would need to produce would be his marriage certificate certified by a certified translator in English and evidences of their identities.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Posted in error

Related UK Immigration Law Questions