UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

My son, age 25, and a U.S. Citizen married his Bulgarian fiancé in Bulgaria.he has returne…

Customer Question
My son, age 25, and...
My son, age 25, and a U.S. Citizen married his Bulgarian fiancé in Bulgaria.he has returned to the U.S.to change his marital status. They want to move to England while she gets her masters degree. What does my son need to do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
6/26/2015
Solicitor: Thomas, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Thanks for your reply.
He will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit in order to come to the UK with her and settle here. He will need to apply for it before he can travel. The government webpage on the application is here:
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview
Once he has come to the UK on his family permit he will be eligible to apply to the home office for an EEA residence card which confirms his right of residence in the UK for 5 years on the basis of the marriage:-
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card
It will either take the form of an endorsement in her passport or as a separate immigration status document confirming her right to reside here for 5 years.
At the end of this time she will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if he wishes and has not spent significant time outside the UK.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Does he need to change his marital status as being married to a Bulgarian citizen. If so, how does he do that? She remained in Bulgaria while he returned to get this accomplished.
She is obviously not from outside the European Economic area. This says both must be.
Hi
The family permit is absolutely the correct application that he should make. it requires that one of the spouses is EEA National in or coming to the United kingdom.
Basically, if he is married then he can already apply for this visa. The evidence that he would need to produce would be his marriage certificate certified by a certified translator in English and evidences of their identities.
To
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.