How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1990
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thomas I had overstayed my students visa from 2005 to

Customer Question

Hi Thomas
I had overstayed my students visa from 2005 to 2012 then met my eea partner. We made an application as a spouse which was refused. We appealed the refusal several times through different courts and was finally refused. My father is a British citizen but I was born outside the UK which makes me a British citizen by descent. Can I still make an application as a British citizen by descent even though I overstayed. We have written to the Secretary of State to reconsider my application and waiting for a response.
Can I go ahead and make an apllication on the grounds of British citizen by descent? How will the good character rule passed in dec 2014 affect me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Where and when was your father born?
Kind regards