How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK national and hold a degree in dentistry obtained

This answer was rated:

I am a UK national and hold a degree in dentistry obtained from a non-EEA country not recognised by GDC (General Dental Council) for the purpose of registration.
Will it be possible to register with the GDC without taking the ORE (Oversea Registration Exam? And how? and are there any alternative routes?
Many thanks
As far as I am aware you would have to take and pass the ORE. You should be able to confirm this by using their route to registration wizard:

Alternatively you should contact them directly.

I am not aware of any alternatives if your qualification is not recognised - the ORE is your only option for registration if you cannot get your qualification recognised.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Would you care to clarify why you have given that rating and relisted the question?

Please note that you are supposed to rate the SERVICE that is provided - NOT whether or not you liked the answer.

You asked if there were alternatives and unfortunately the answer is no, but you nonetheless have an answer to the question you asked.

If you have further questions or require greater clarification then please feel free to ask, otherwise you should correct your rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Howard, thanks for answering my question, the reason I gave that rating is because to me it seems like you gave me a very short and superficial answer.

you were just referring to the GDC website as if I don't know that, I expected more than that from somebody who is an exepert in Law.

Many thanks and sorry If I offened you.

Unfortunately the answer is as simple as that. If you cannot get your qualification recognised then, in your circumstances, the ONLY option is the ORE and there is NO way around that.

With the greatest respect there is no more detail that I can possibly provide and my answer was therefore not superficial but simply factual. I recommended contacting them in case there was a methodology they might employ to assess whether or not your qualification should be recognised and so that is the only option other than the ORE, which is what I suggested in fewer words.

I appreciate that it is not likely to be the answer you were hoping for but it really is as simple as that and I HAVE answered your question. I appreciate it is disappointing but you should rate on the basis of the service provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello there, thanks again for getting back to me and for your clarification. am sorry I would still say it was a superficial haven't asked even a single question or any more information(s) i.e on the GDC websit it say if you are UK citizen and exempt person you could get registered.....etc

could you please clarify what do you mean by "should rate on the basis of the service provided"



You have already said that you are aware of the information on the GDC site, which isn't exactly complex, and I presume you already know you are not exempt OR if you thought you were then you would have mentioned it.

Exemption is related to enforceable community rights - essentially, working in another EEA country. Are you now saying that you have worked in your profession in an EEA country outside the UK? I do not think this is the case.

This is all on the the link that I provided and you were hoping for some information or route that is not made clear on the GDC site, hence coming here to ask instead of asking the GDC, but there is no other route available!

If there is no more depth to the topic then it does not make the answer superficial - it simply means it is a very simple topic with a very simple answer.

Rating on the service provided essentially means rating based on whether or not your question has been answered and I believe that your question has been answered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks once again... yes the info on the GDC site isn't super super complex but isn't (perhaps some of it) that clear. Yes you right, I haven't worked in any an EEA country.


Is getting too late now............I don't want to argue, may be my expectations were so high. Anyway what do you want me to do now or what's required from me?



I do appreciate that you were hoping for some way around the requirements that was not on the GDC site but unfortunately there is nothing I can do to help other than tell you the facts as I have done.

I have correctly answered your question so you really should provide a positive rating.

When the same question was asked about overseas educational equivalency it was sometimes possible to get professional bodies (such as the ACCA) to confirm equivalency where UK Naric or the Home Office did not deem a qualification to be equivalent. In this case the GDC ARE the professional body so your only option would be to get your qualification recognised OR if another EEA country recognised your qualification and allowed you to work there then you could claim exemption (in case this possibility was not entirely clear).

I hope that helps.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, will change my rating. but again you shouldn't asume that your client knows/understands all the info otherwise why ask, that's my opinion anyway.


Many thanks

Noted and point taken.