How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi,My non-EU boyfriend has been refused a general visit

This answer was rated:

Hi, My non-EU boyfriend has been refused a general visit visa to the UK. The refusal letter stated the main reason being that he cannot demonstrate he has enough money available to pay for his trip He is a student, so does not work himself, and his parents do not declare their income to the taxman. So on paper, they appear not very well-off (although I know this to be incorrect). We stated he would pay for all his holiday expenses, except accommodation. In the application, I stated I am his friend and wished to invite him. I stated I would accommodate him. I thought by saying that he was merely a friend, they would be less likely to think he would overstay. He genuinely is not seeking to stay for more than a holiday. We decided he would come to see if he liked that UK, in preparation for the possibility of applying for a more permanent visa in the future. His university course runs for another two years and he will be finishing this before we settle down together. We would like to re-apply for a general visitor visa. We would get a letter from his university stating when he started, how long the course runs for, that he has leave to come to the UK, as well as his exam dates. This time around I was going to state I will pay for his entire holiday. (I have quite a reasonable income and disposable income and paying for his holiday is not a problem at all). However, I am worried that now we have said we are friends, they will wonder why I am paying for everything and question our relationship/credibility. Please advise whether this is the best way of going about re-applying.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

There is nothing preventing a person being a friend to sponsoring another friend from outside the uk. However,you are correct the home office can question why you are willing to sponsor your friend and this can be a point which the home office cam find suspicious, you should have been more forthcoming and stated that you are in a relationship, had you stated this it would not necessarily have led to a refusal. It is up to you what reason you state for why you are sponsoring him, I cannot advise you to state anything other than the truth.

From the refusal it seems clear that the reason for refusal is to do with finance and accommodation. If you can provide evidence of your financial situation and also evidence that there is adequate accommodation for your friend this should be sufficient to meet the requirements. You may also wish to provide an affidavit stating your willingness to sponsor him to the uk and state why he is unable to finance his own visit.

And yes he would need to show evidence of his course and the fact that he is on holiday from the university and the university expect him to return to complete his course.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the info. You state that I should consider providing an affidavit stating my willingness to sponsor him and why he can't finance his own trip. Can you please elaborate what I would need to do in this regard? Would I need to visit a notary?

Thank you for your reply.

You would need to contact your local solicitor asking them to draft an affidavit for your stating your intention to finance his stake in the uk and also accommodate him for the duration of his stay.

You should also provide evidence if your employment ie employment contract and payslips etc confirming that you have an income and can afford to sponsor his visit to the uk.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you