How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have applied for a Job with a UK company

This answer was rated:

I have applied for a Job with a UK company that is exclusively in the UK but the position would be in US and Canada with minimal [Training] time in UK proper. Would US or UK employment laws apply, or is it voluntary?  What taxes would I have to pay in UK? Would any UK benefits be available?

What is your nationality and where are you based?

Whatever tax is due would depend on where you are residing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

II would reside in the US. The Company is only in UK. For the primary position applied for. So back to the original question. Would I anticipate them following UK employment laws and providing me a contract within 2 months, or would they operate like the US and just be 'At-Will' employment.

I still need you to tell me your nationality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm a US Citizen, residing in the US. Sorry. I didn't realize I wasn't being clear.

No problem.

I would expect you to be contracted to the UK Company in most situations like this. You will certainly only be liable for taxation in the US and you would not be entitled to any benefits from the UK. You will need to check exactly what type of employment contract you are offered but contracting would be usual. If you are offered a fixed term contract then it will usually say which country's laws shall apply and it would be usual for this to be the country in which the Company is based.

I hope the above helps.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions