How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, i wanted to know is there a way to get British citizenship

This answer was rated:

i wanted to know is there a way to get British citizenship in one year of living in UK or less.

I have had and continue to have a ILR/ILE residency card for UK for many years, but do not live in UK , only go to UK for short trips to maintain the ILE/ILR.
My wife is a UK citizen but by descent(both her parent are naturalized) as is my parent(father was naturalized but passed away mother is naturalized, however not living in UK). I have a son who is 16 months old and an American citizen.





When did your parents naturalise as UK citizens?

Where and when were you born please?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.


they were naturalised around 2000-2001.My father passed away in 2005 and mother is still alive.


Where and when were you born please?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was born in Columbo, Sri Lanka on 3rd may 1979.

However i am of bangladeshi citizenship so have held Bengali nationality since birth.



Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that in your circumstances you would not be able to automatically apply for UK citizenship, this is due to you being born outside the UK before 1983 and because your parents were not yet naturalised as UK citizens.

Therefore, if you wished to obtain UK citizenship then the only way that this would be possible would be if you were to naturalise as a UK citizen.

As you are probably aware there are residency requirements in this regard. If you are married to a UK citizen then the requirements are that you must have resided in the UK for a continuous period of 3 years with only minimum time spent outside the UK:-


I am afraid that there is absolutely no way around the residence period requirements for this. This is your only option.


I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions