How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in the UK, work and live in the Middle East with

This answer was rated:

I was born in the UK, work and live in the Middle East with my Ethiopian wife and 2 children who have UK passports. My wife and I own property in the UK and Bahrain, she would like to get a Leave to Remain visa for the UK. What is the requirements and the procedure.

Will you return to the UK to settle/work here with her?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work for oil companies in the middle east as an engineer, there is not enough work for me in the UK. I will be home 3 months per year.


So, how much time in the UK during each year would your wife spend in the UK ideally?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have 2 young children that need to be in school one has a speech problem that needs specialized help not available in the Bahrain.

My wife would be full time in the UK.



Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answer now. 5 mins please.


Sorry, I require a further bit of clarification.

There is a financial requirement in terms of salary (you may have heard about it). Do you and your wife have savings in excess of £62, 500.00? This is the threshold leval of cash savings on which an application for a spouse visa may be based, if not based on salary..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we own 4 properties jointly, and we have approximately 200k GBP in savings. Additionally I have my job which is excess of 100k GBP


Sorry about the delayed response, the web site failed to update

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joint Savings = 200k GBP, salary = 100k GBP plus

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joint Savings = 200k GBP, salary = 100k GBP

Thank, got that.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Thanks for your patience.

It’s not great news I’m afraid. You have a difficult decision to make.
In normal circumstances where a family is returning to the UK your wife would apply for a spouse visa:-

However, as part of the above eligibility criteria you will see that there is a requirement that you must intend to live permanent in the UK together. This is a big problem for you if you propose to spend all bar 3 months of the year outside of the UK because a person who is permanently residing in the UK would normally be expected to spend a minimum of 6 months in the UK.

If you proposed to proceed on the basis of spending 9 months of the year outside of the UK then you could certainly expect the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) to reject your wife’s application. This means that you would have to appeal. Your evidence on appeal would get a fairer hearing but I would still put the chances of success at considerably below 50%.

The further point to make with going to appeal is that it can take a long time to arrange after the UKBA reject the application. You would certainly be looking at 6 month from the date that you submit the application, but potentially up to a year.

As ridiculous as it sounds there is no category for a mother of UK citizens to come to the UK on their own. The only category similar is a that of an “Parent in the UK “visa:-

You will see that it is a requirement of this visa that the parent must not be in a relationship with the other parent.

If you were to spend 6 months out of the year in the UK then your wife’s spouse visa application would be accepted because you have sufficient savings to meet the financial requirement without getting a job offer of employment in the UK, so this might be an option that you may consider exploring if it’s possible.

If your wife was to work in the UK then she may have other options but please let me know if it is intended that she works.

I am very sorry that I could not tell you it is easier..

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Tom, My daughter with a Speech Problem needs help in the UK, If I am forced to return the UK it would bad decision financially, but it may be required. I could create a real job for my wife in the UK handling my work, if that is permissible. ? I appreciate the help, can you advise of a good lawyer to assist when we decide on option to pursue.


I'm afraid that employing your wife would not be an option because the UKBA would see this as simply a veil to get your wife leave to remain another way.

The speech impediment of your daughter is the type of consideration that may play well on appeal, but I regret that it is not a determinative issue.

I'm afriad I cannot give recommendations under the terms of the site. You should instruct a UK immgration solicitor close-ish to the locality where you woudl return to using the Law Soceity's find a solicitor website:-

Please do remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you