How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a Swedish citizen, I do live and work in England.

This answer was rated:

I am a Swedish citizen, I do live and work in England. I would like to get married with my boyfriend of 3 years. He is a illegal immigration and have been in England for almost 9 years. I was told to get married in UK we need to give notice. But he doesn´t have any kind of Id or birth certificate. All he has is a paper from the home office that he uses when he report to the UK border agency every 2 months. Is it possible for him to get married with me in UK? Many thanks

Does he have a UK driving licence?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



What's happened to his passport?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well he came to England when he was 17 and on the way to to England he have lost it.


Thanks for your patience.

A registry office needs identity documentation in order to marry couples. Usually, this consists of two of the following:-
• passport
• birth certificate
• driving licence
• national identity card
• immigration status document

He needs to focus on obtaining either a replacement passport or national identity card issued by the government of his home country. He needs to contact the embassy of his home country in this regard and explain his situation. They should be able to advise him what he needs to do in order to get another replacement passport re-issued.

I assume that the document you refer to which he takes to the immigration office is an immigration status document and so if you are able to get a replacement passport then you should be able to marry. This should be your primary focus.

I should also think that it would be worth booking an appointment now with the registry offices so that you can show the document which he does have to get them to confirm that they will be able to marry you with just a replacement passport in addition. You can at the same time ask if there are any other options to getting a replacement passport, however I expect that they will say that there are not.

Sorry I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions