How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a U.S. citizen engaged to a British Citizen. We

This answer was rated:


I am a U.S. citizen engaged to a British Citizen. We want to marry and settle in the London. My fiance owns one family home in London, that he lets, and we are looking to purchase a family home as well. We have been in a relationship for ten months, I've stayed with him for two months during the summer on top of trips we've taken together, plus I've met his family. We are leaning towards applying for a fiance visa for settlement, but I have my doubts that it will be approved, despite the fact he is very capable of supporting myself and my two children. I owe back taxes from my last job that I had in 2007, of which I was "let go" due to a disability. I receive SSI and have not worked since. Is this to look bad on my character?

Thank you,
Hi Lisa,

I do not think that this should particularly be a reason for refusal in itself unless there is a criminal conviction against you.

The most important aspects are for you to show that your Fiance can meet the Financial Requirement, that you will have somewhere to live together and that you sufficiently evidence the genuine nature of the relationship. This can include documents to evidence:

- Travel and holidays together.
- Email communications.
- Telephone/Skype records.
- Receipt for engagement ring.
- Documents related to making arrangements to marry.

Some applicants might also include holiday or family photographs.

Please feel free to ask if you have further questions about the application or your specific situation.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you