How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend would like to stay in the UK after she has finished

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend would like to stay in the UK after she has finished her studies as an osteopath and live with me, although we are not ready to marry yet. Is there any other way she can stay? We have been together for ten years and have proof for that.
Thank you for your question. How long has she been in the UK? Can you confirm her visa status. What basis are you in the Uk ? What nationality are you please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am uk citizen from birth. She came to the uk first in 2008 then took a. Year off in 2009-10, then on student visa since 2010.
Thank you. I assume your girlfriend is not an EEA citizen but if she has been here lawfully for more than 6 months she can apply to switch permission to stay as your partner. It is not necessary for you to get married. You will need to establish that it is a genuine relationship and that you can meet the financial and other requirements.

You can find all the information you need in the UKBA website which sets out the basic criteria here:

The documentation requirement is set out here:

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions