How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have been in the UK for more than 9 years now and

This answer was rated:


I have been in the UK for more than 9 years now and looking to apply for ILR in a few months on the basis of long residence.

I dont have gaps in any of my visas. The only issue is that in 2011 I lost my passport and so I dont know my ins and outs of the country. I dont have a copy of my tickets since it was a long time ago. Whats the best way to prove my ins and outs?
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

Do you have a rough idea of your travel for the period you lost your passport?
Were any of the periods in question for longer than 90 days in any one calender year?
For the period in question were you employed or studying? or both at the same time?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



The period in question is 7 years.


I was a student in the first 6 years and working full time for the 7th year.


I did leave for more than 90 days throughout in some of these years, especially the first few years as my grandmother was ill. But I dont know how many days.

Thank you for your reply.

The importance of why the passport must be kept safe is because not only does it evidence your visas but also your travel, now unfortunately you do not have a passport to evidence your travel for 7 years.

The only alternative I see in you having some evidence of travel is if you can obtain evidence from your educational institutions regarding your visits abroad and also your employer in the seventh year. They may be able to provide you a letter stating that you were on annual leave during the periods your traveled abroad and also the years you did not travel and remained in the UK.

If you can give a rough estimate of when you traveled abroad and the time you spent and write a covering letter stating that you lost your passport covering the 7 years of travel and that is why you are so vague regarding your dates the home office may be able to check their systems to confirm your travel. Although the home office does not know when you left the country they can check details of when you entered the UK and see if they can match the dates for you.

As you have lost your passport the onus is on your to provide evidence of your travel so even letters and statements from friends confirming when you were outside of the UK will also assist your case.

You should also provide evidence that you reported the passport lost to the police and provide a letter or a reference number to the home office.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions