How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im just wondering if when my wife comes to the uk via the surrinder

This answer was rated:

im just wondering if when my wife comes to the uk via the surrinder singh (we will have been in ireland (me working for 3 months plus) route she will require a spouse visa ?
thanks in advance.

Thanks for your patience.

If you wife is applying for an EEA Family Permit under the Surinder Singh Ruling and is successful then she can travel to the UK on the permit.

Once she is in the UK she will be regarded as entering with you as an EEA national exercising treaty rights in the UK. This means that Once she has come to the UK on her family permit she will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms her right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-

This will confirm her right to reside in the UK for a period of 5 years. Technically there is no requirement for her to apply for this, but it is generally thought better to do so because it makes it a lot easier to prove to proposed employers that she has a right to work in the UK.

At the end of the 5 year residence in the UK she can apply for Permanent Residence, which is effectively ILR by another name.

Good luck.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks thomas.


how likely do you think it is she will be able to get said EEA family permit ? she has an exemplary visa record and by then we will be married a few months. do some people struggle to get it ?

thanks in advance, andy.


If you are able to prove with documentary evidence that you have worked for 3 months in Ireland and that you are married then you shoudl be okay.

Some people struggle, but only because they miss out documentation which is required and asked for under the application.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you