How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Tier 2 general migrant visa. My wife is working in

This answer was rated:

I have a Tier 2 general migrant visa. My wife is working in London, tied to my visa. The visa expires on 1 October 2013.

I have returned to the US. My wife is still working. She was told that she could continue working for 30 days after the visa expiration date. Is that correct? Or does 1 October have to be her last day?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

From what I understand you are the tier2 migrant and your wife is your dependent, in that case if your intention was to leave the uk and not to return then your wife should not have worked after the date you left and should have left the uk with you. The reason she was given a visa was due to your employment in the uk and if you are no longer in the uk then she should have returned within you.

She should not be working at all,she should return to the USA as the purpose of her visa ie being in the uk as your dependent, no longer exists because you are no longer in the uk.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, there is no 30 day period after the expiration?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately not, if her visa expires then she will be an overstayer and will be unable to work.

There is only a 28 day period after the expiry of your visa when the home office will accept an application even though it is after your visa expires and they are an overstayer . This is the only time the 28 days period may not come in to play. If she is in the uk after the expiry of her visa she will be an overstayer and unable to work.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions