Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

is it expensive to live in the UK?

Customer Question

is it expensive to live in the UK?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Could you provide some more detail to your question?

Expensive in what respect and for whom?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

like just living in the UK, like gas prices and so on. By the way is each answer im getting from u cost $63.00?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

No, it's not costing each time. You have placed a deposit for this whole question thread.

Drafting your answer now.

5 mins.

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

It’s a relative question, because the cost of living in the UK depends on where you are coming from and how much things cost generally.

However, compared to developed European countries the UK is comparable in terms of the cost of living (ie. accommodation, food, utilities etc). However, if comparing to less developed countries (eg. Some countries in Africa) it is extremely expensive compared to the amount of money that you may earn working in those countries.

Generally, the UK compares as slightly more expensive than most European countries on the whole, but comparable generally. However, you will find that it is not as expensive as some scandanavian counties.

The big thing to consider with the UK is that the cost of living varies massively depending on where you live in the UK. London is very expensive and it is difficult to live in central London without earning considerably more than the average wage to employees paid across the country.

The main drive of the disparity in costs of living is accommodation. Living in London on less than th average wage is extremely difficult because property prices are so high.

The south of the UK is very expensive generally, because although property here is not as expensive as London it is still relatively much more expensive than wales and the north/north western.

Wages in London for identical jobs elsewhere are higher but the better view is that they are not increased sufficiently to offset the amount you would pay in accommodation.

Generally, the further north you go in the UK the more affordable the housing becomes and, by virtue of this, the costs of living are considerably less.

I hope this answers your question.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats very good advice thank you! But I would like some advice for moving to the UK in the near future. I have another question, but would it caused be another $63.00 for the anwer. because its expensive and I used my mom card and she wasnt happy about it.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Sure, just ask the question in reply to this post. .

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright. Whats it like for americans moving to the UK and how can I find my didtant relatives in England? this question shouldnt cost right? cause it in the tread

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I cannot really comment on what it is like for americans to move the united kingdom. The question is too subjective. It depends on the individual and their particular circumstances when they move to the united kingdom

People in the united kingdom generally go about tracing the relative by looking for registrations of bath, deaths, and marriages. You can get copies of such certificates here:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If you did not have the consent of your mother to use this site then you must tell me.

If you did have consent then please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Tom