How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mothers father was a british citizen before he died, my

This answer was rated:

My Mother's father was a british citizen before he died, my mother gained british citizenship through him and has a British passport. My father is Canadian only. My mother divorced my father in the 80s and remarried my stepfather 5 years ago. My stepfather is also a British citizen. They live in Scotland half the time where they own property. I am 47 and a Canadian. Is it possible that I can gain citizenship through either one or both of them? Thanks, Dave

Where and when was your mother born please?

Where and when were you born?

Is the ultimate purpose of the enquiry to come to the UK to work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My mother was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in the late 30s, I was born in Minden, Ontario, Canada in 1967. The ultimate purpose is work in the UK and the EU although I will likely inherit my parents place in Scotland. -D


Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that british citizenship is only allowed to descend one generation to children that are born outside the united kingdom.

This means that your mother obtained british citizenship by descent from your grandfather. However, because it is and permitted to descend one generation you would not be entitled at the present time to british citizenship.

If you wish to come to the united kingdom to work then there is an avenue for you to do so, provided that you are a commonwealth citizen. If you are canadian then you will be a commonwealth citizen.

If you wish to come to the united kingdom to work anymore have to apply for an ancestral visa. Here is the united kingdom border agency web page on this type of visa:

You will see that you have to meet this criteria. If you ultimately wish to obtain uk citizenship then you can come here on this visa and remain working for 5 years and then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Once you have indefinite leave to remain you can then naturalise as a uk citizen 12 months after you have obtained indefinite leave to remain.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would it be accepted if my step father formally adopted me? It would be, of course, odd at my age. -D


Citizenship by adoption involves discretion on the part of the united kingdom border agency. For this reason, I do not think they would grant you citizenship on the basis that it is clearly for that purpose alone unfortunately.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you