How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just wanted to clarify. I met a boy while traveling to the

This answer was rated:

Just wanted to clarify. I met a boy while traveling to the UK. I have stayed in the UK and did not return home when planned because of this. I will stay in the UK as the relationship develops to see it through. If we decide to marry, can we while I am still in the UK? The boy is a UK Citizen. Previous answer said I had to go back home to the US, but, if I want to stay with him and marry, can we apply for marriage and get married in the UK and live happily ever after as long as he makes the minimum wage and we meet all the other criteria? Do not want to go home just to apply to live with the love of my life? Thanks.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
If you are here as a visitor then you cannot switch to any other visa type that would suit your purposes and you would have to apply from the US. A visitor visa has the condition that you will leave - if you breach visa conditions then you can be banned from entry.

Please take note of the following web page for confirmation:

You can marry in the UK but this would not change the requirement to apply from outside the UK. Your boyfriend would have to meet a financial requirement if you were married (or engaged to be married). Your savings can also be used.

There is a priority service available in the US that places your application at the front of the queue and this helps to get the application processed a little bit quicker.

Again, it really is very important that you do not overstay your current visa and if you marry then you must apply from the US - an application submitted in the UK by a person on a visitor visa WILL be refused.
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you