How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good evening, I am employed on a Tier 2 working visa in

This answer was rated:

Good evening,

I am employed on a Tier 2 working visa in a SOC code pertaining to IT/technical systems. It's my understanding that this means I cannot, for example, write freelance op-ed articles for newspapers and trade publications because that is outside of my sponsorship area. Is this correct? Or could I pitch articles as long as I am not paid for them? Would it then be considered voluntary work?

Thank you.

Would you actually be paid for them?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Tom. It varies based on publication; some will treat pitches as freelance submissions and pay a fee in exchange while others won't. The Guardian, for example, generally pays for submissions that it publishes but the contributor can choose to donate the fee to a charity of their choice.

I am now on my way to work. May I please answer at 9am?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, of course, whenever you are ready with the answer is fine. Thank you.


Thanks for your patience.

My view is that the by writing op-ed pieces you would effectively be doing a type of work other than your sponsored employment. This is because you would be doing the work of a write as opposed to your technicaly IT role.

On this basis I don’t think you could argue that it was “supplementary work”, for which you would not need to inform the UKBA.

If you were to not be paid for the work then you would probably be able to argue that it is “voluntary work”, in which case – provided you were not paid – you would not have to inform the UKBA.

The relevant link is here:-

And the policy guidance here:-

This is my view. You may consider informing the UKBA if you propose to regard this as voluntary work.

If you wished to be paid for the work then it would be regarded as “secondary work”, in which case the requirements (as you will see) are that you must inform the UKBA and seek a new certificate of sponsorship. I suppose the difficulty with this is that you would not have one sponsor and would presumably be writing for a few publications.

The difficulty generally is that I don’t think you could argue that it (writing) was the same profession as your sponsored role, thereby making it very, very difficult to confidently argue that you are allowed to 1) not inform the UKBA and 2) be paid for it.

I am sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, that is what I thought also. I appreciate the confirmation. I've rated your answer.

No problem. Thanks for rating my answer.


Related UK Immigration Law Questions