How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am holder a British National Overseas passport from Hong Kong. And at the time I entered the UK in 2009 my passport was not being stamped and ever since I have been working and living here. I do hold a HKSAR passport as well as Hong Kong residence are allow to hold 2 passport. I have a good job and paying my taxes for the past 3 years. My Mother is British citizen and I don't have any family in Hong Kong.I want to know how can i go about with my status for being legalised in UK.

Thanks for your patience.

I assume that you originally entered the UK legally and have remained so until now.

If you hold a British National Overseas passport and have lived/worked in the UK for a period of 3 years then you are not yet able to apply to registered as a full UK citizen (ie. one that holds UK citizenship “otherwise than by descent”.

However, you may very well be able to in a couple of years.

This UKBA leaflet explains the requirements in order for you to register as a full UK citizen:-

KINGDOM” on page 2 of the above link and you will see that the eligbility criteria is contained at a) to g).

You will see that you are required to be in the UK for a period of 5 years before you are eligible to apply. You should also check against the other eligibility criteria (ie. time outside the UK) to ensure that you meet it.

Provided you do and you stay until you have resided in the UK for a period of 5 years then you will be able to apply for registered as a full UK citizen. You can do this using for B(OTA):-
Once you have been registered as such you can then apply for a UK passport.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you