How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a student who has lived for 6 years in London, Uk, under

This answer was rated:

Is a student who has lived for 6 years in London, Uk, under the tier 4 visa (undergraduate and masters degree), eligible for naturalisation? If not is there any other way, knowing that I have only studied and lived here for 6 years (without any work involved)?

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid not, no. The reason is because as part of the eligibility criteria to naturalise as a UK citizen the applicant must be free of immigration time restrictions for 12 months, this (in other words) means that the applicant must have held “indefinite leave to remain for 12 months at the date they make their application for naturalisation ”:-

Please refer to the heading on the above link entitled “Immigration time restrictions“ for confirmation.

Students do not get an automatic right to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the same way that work visas (eg. Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker) visas do. You must have indefinite leave to remain before you apply for naturalisation and therefore this rules students out from applying for naturalisation.

The only other option is to seek to switch your category of visa to another category that does give a right to apply for naturalisation once you have remained in the UK under that visa for the requisite period to time.

The final alternative is to remain legally in the UK for another 4 years until you have reached 10 years continuous legal leave to remain in the UK, if you do this you can apply for indefinite leave to remain under the long residence rules. Once you have this you can apply for naturalisation 12 months later provider you meet the requirements on the above link

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you