How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello - my brother was born in the uk and wants to maintain

This answer was rated:

Hello - my brother was born in the uk and wants to maintain dual citizenship. He is also a us citizen. What steps does he need to take re: his British citizenship?

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

In respect of his British citizenship there is nothing preventing him from holding both us and British citizenship. UK immigration law does not prevent an individual from having dual citizenship.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

It is therefore clear that in your brothers case he will be able to have dual citizenship without any issues. His British citizenship will not be taken away regardless of his residency in a foreign country, he will be a British citizen for life until he decides to relinquish citizenship.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does he need to do to validate his citizenship?
Thank you for your reply.

Does he currently have a valid british passport?
Could you explain what you mean by validate?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No he does not have a british passport
Thank you for your reply.

Was his mother and father both british at the time of his birth?
Was he born in wedlock?
When was he born?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He does have a British birth certificate - how does he apply for a passport
Thank you for your reply.

He would need to apply using the following link :

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have to apply in person?
Thank you for your reply.

No you do not, you have to send all the documents asked for on the link to the address stated in the UK.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards