How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been refused a visa for the UK. I am a US Citizen and

Customer Question

I have been refused a visa for the UK. I am a US Citizen and my fiancee, a US citizen as well, was granted a Tier 4 student visa for 12 months. I applied as her unmarried partner and was refused under Paragraph 320 (2) (d)…due to a DUI….and Paragraph 319c (c) due to insufficient proof a two year relationship. Can I still enter under a General Visitor visa to visit her for a few months at a time? I was told by the Worldbridge helpline that I cannot enter at the border and must apply in advance for the General Visitor category. Is this true? She has decided that if I will not be able to get a visitor visa at all, she will not go to the school in the UK, because then we would not be able to see each other for a year. We are at the wire because the school starts on the 16th of September. What advice do you have? How should we proceed from here?
Daniel and Ashton
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
If you have been previously refused entry or refused a visa then it is recommended that you obtain a visa before entering the UK.

It is important to note that even with a visa it is possible for entry to be refused at the border if they do not believe your intention to leave the UK or if they believe you might work in the UK. It is therefore a good idea to travel with evidence in your hand luggage to prove available funds for the trip and your work/study and/or financial commitments in the US to confirm that you have reasons to return to the US.

You will appreciate that it will be vital to clearly demonstrate reasons for returning to the US as there is likely to be some concern that you will want to stay here based on your previous application.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much money do I need to show I have? In addition to this, if I bring proof of usa employment and a return ticket and proof I have a place to stay, is that sufficient? Also, are the chances about the same ill be granted entry if I have a general visit visa and have these documents vs if I just bring them to the border?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
There is a much stronger chance of refusal if you simply go to the border with evidence - it really is strongly recommended that you get a visa first.

There is not a fixed amount required to be shown. You should ensure that you have sufficient funds available for flights and accommodation plus living expenses while you are here. These costs will vary depending on where you are living.

Proof of employment in the US would be a very good idea - a letter from your employer to confirm your period of absence from work and when you are due to return would be a good idea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can I find out what this amount is, at least generally?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
It really does depend where you will stay and for how long. If you will be staying in a hotel then you can get an idea of costs online. What level of savings do you currently have?

Related UK Immigration Law Questions