How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marriage to UK national (Russian applicant)

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas, my boy friend is a Russian national, and I am British/Russian. He is here on a tourist visa at the moment as he frequently travels to the UK and we thought we could get married in a registry office without getting fiancee visa first. We looked at UKBA website and I became of impression that we could not get married unless he had a fiancee visa or we applied from Russia. But then, if further stated that if partner is already in the UK, (regardless of visa I thought) it was possible to go to designated registry office to give notice to marry. I spoke with many such offices today and none of them requested him to have fiancee visa, only asked what ppt he and i hold. We made an appointment, but have doubts that this marriage will be processed by the UKBA, or refused on the grounds that the rules were bypassed.

You are able to marry but he will not be able to apply for a Spouse visa in the UK and will instead have to apply from his home country. He must leave the UK before his visa expires.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you