How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Trinidad and Tobago citizen. I am a Fellow of The Royal

This answer was rated:

I am a Trinidad and Tobago citizen. I am a Fellow of The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and was on the Overseas list of The General Medical Council but not updated on the latter.

I wish to apply for British Citizenship and continue in my capacity as a semi retired medical doctor doing laser therapy etc in the U.K. if possible.

How might I go about applying.


Godfrey Raj-Kumar. F.R.C.O.G
Hello Godfrey,

Thanks for your patience.

If you are not already entitled to UK citizenship by virtue of your ancestry then I’m afraid that you would be regarded the same as any other foreign national who wishes to come to the UK to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain and ultimately apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen thereafter.

This means that you would probably be looking at applying for a work visa in order to travel here to work and remain on the visa for a period of 5 years before then applying for indefinite leave to remain. Once you have indefinite leave to remain you can apply for naturasliation 12 months as long as you meet the requirements on this page:-

The difficult part is that if you intend to be effectively semi retired then you may have difficulty getting a work visa. Most persons wishing to come to the UK to work apply for Tier 2 visas, which are sponsored skilled worker visas

You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Need clarification before I can rate your service.


Some ambiguity.


Paragraph 2 states " apply for naturaliasation12 months",what do you mean?


I meant that once you had obtained indefinite leave to remain you would be able to apply for naturalisation 12 months after the date you receive it. This is becuase part of the naturalisation requirements is that you must have been free of immigration time restrictions for 12 months at the date you make your application for naturalisation.

Please remember rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Thank you very much for your help thus far.


Final request before I rate you.


I have asked my relatives who are British Citizens to pursue a similar exercise from their end.


Would you therefore be kind enough to e mail this page to the following 3 e mail addresses:







[email protected]


[email protected] and


[email protected]




Dr.Godfrey Raj-Kumar

Hi Dr Godfrey

I cannot do that. Private contact between customers and experts or assocaites is prohibited.

You are free to copy/paste/print the answser if you wish.

Please rate my answer.


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions