How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I meet my wife almost 2 years ago and we were married on 14th

This answer was rated:

I meet my wife almost 2 years ago and we were married on 14th September 2012.
She works 50 miles from home (lives In) and I only see her at weekends - OH - forgot to say... My wife comes from the Philippines and has worked here for almost 5 years For a couple with 5 son`s on a Work Visa (we meet whilst she was working here)

I am hoping you could suggest/advise which visa/permit she should apply for, as her present works visa runs out in October this year.

I said she works 50 miles away from home ... I drive her to work every Sunday night and Collect her most Friday evening or Saturday lunch time ...... I HATE IT.

I wish my wife to be home/here with me Permanently, and to be able to find a job locally

My Intention is to get my wife Sworn In as a Citizen of this Country and apply for a British Passport.

I have looked at Loads of Visa`s/Permit applications on the Internet and am totally confused as to which to advise my wife to apply for .... PLEASE HELP

Respectfully XXXXX

What nationality are you please? Are you a british citizen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry ... Should have told you in First Place ... Yes I am British Citizen (Born and Breed) DofB 5th August 1949 (64)


My Wife DofB 22nd January 1962 (51)



What visa does she hold please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As stated in first statment ... My wife is on a Working Visa at the moment which runs out in October this year


There are different types of working visas. Do you know which type? It might be a tier 2 sponsored skilled workers, for example?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not Sure ... But her contract states she is a sponsored worker

by a Mr and Mrs Johnson in Maidenhead, Berkshire.


May I answer tomorrow morning at 9 a.m please?

It's a bit difficult for me to answer right now..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No Problem ... I finish work at 1900 hours and hope to be home by 1930 hours .... Look forward to your reply


Have a good evening Bye




Thanks for your patience.

The first thing you have to do is to see if she is eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after being employed on her current visa for 5 years. If she is, then she can apply for ILR (ie. settlement) and once she has it she can remain in the UK indefinitely regardless of any sponsorship. This would mean that she could quite her job and come and live with you. She would not have to make another visa application again.

You need to check the type of visa she has. She should know. It will be on her passport and correspondence from the UKBA in earlier application. It may be a Tier 2 Sponsored skilled worker visa. If that is the case then she has a right to apply for ILR, confirmation here:-

If she is not in a category which has a right to apply for ILR after 5 years and she wishes to live with you and not work for her employer then you should see if she can apply for a Spouse Visa.
To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• You must meet the financial requirement:-
• Further guidance:-

• This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your spouse showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live or that you can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.

• Further information here:-

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form FLR(M), available for download from UKBA's website.

Once she has the spouse visa she can quite her job and live with you. The spouse visa will be granted for a period of 33 months. She will have to apply for further leave to remain at the end of this time. She can apply for indefinite leave to remain once she has been here for 5 years. After that she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen if she wishes.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Thomas,

I have another Question for you.

My Philippino Wife ask`s ... Would she be allowed to use her Passport to apply for her `SET` Permit ?

Her current Passport runs out on the 6th April 2014 ... or would you recommend she gets a re-newal Passport first .. before applying for her SET Permit ?

Tomorrow (22nd) she is taking her exam for `Life in the UK` ... After which she wishes to submit all her papers for scrutiny prior to sending them in for her permit.

I hope you can help me again as you did the last time I was in touch.

Many Thanks.


I will answer in 20 mins.


She should be able to use her passport if she is to make the application quite soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Again,

The wife found out (today) the Law regarding immigrants has changed ... AGAIN ... now it costs more money and more regulations - ( When will the Govn stop ripping off people who are working here Legally like my wife ?) It`s costing a small fortune ..... Any Way - My Problem ....

Under these circumstances will she still be able to use her old Passport ?



Yes, if her passport does not expire until April 2014 then she will not have any problems in this regard.


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you