How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am reading the requirements for English citizenship

This answer was rated:


I am reading the requirements for English citizenship and am confused. I don't think there is a path open to me, but there are places where is seems the law can be interpreted both ways.

I am--

Born in 1968
My mother is a natural born English Citizen.
I was born in the U.S., and she was married to my father, a U.S. citizen.

Do I have a path to dual citizenship or a British passport? thanks
Firstly, it is British Citizenship that you are referring to (not English Citizenship) and your mother was a British Citizen. It is always worth ensuring that you use the correct terminology to avoid potential confusion.

There are two primary forms of Citizenship - other than by descent, meaning born in the UK, and by descent for pretty much everything else, including being born outside the UK to British parents.

You would not usually be able to immediately get a British Passport but you can register as a British Citizen and thereafter get a passport:

This is related to the fact that prior to 1983 only the father could pass down nationality and not the mother. This imbalance was corrected and would be the basis for your right to be registered as a British Citizen. Essentially, you are a British Citizen by descent and you simply need to register.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great---thanks,,,one other quick one. Can you recommend any services that help with the application?

I cannot recommend specific companies here as the site rules do not permit me to do so. I recommend that you discuss this with a few companies and ensure that they are registered with the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) in the UK. If you discuss this with a solicitor then make sure that the solicitor is suitably registered and has extensive specialist experience.

You should find it to be quite a straightforward application.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions