How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am I Canadian citizen by birth and Nigerian by naturalization

This answer was rated:

I am I Canadian citizen by birth and Nigerian by naturalization . I lost my Canadian passport some time ago. During that period I applied for a UK visa with my Nigerian passport on 3 occasions but was refused. When I eventually got my Canadian passport back, I decided to travel to the UK since a Canadian citizen doesn't need a visa to the UK I was refused entry on arrival ,on the grounds that the circumstance in which I was refused previously on my Nigerian passport has not changed to the best of their knowledge. I was put on the next flight to Nigeria. On arrival, I reported to the Canadian High Commission of my experience. They approach the British High Commission, who did not give a specific reason why I was denied entry but just said it would take some time. It's 3 Years now and I'm still waiting. What do I do?

Would you like to come to the UK now?

If so, would this simply be for a short visit (ie. no work, study etc) of less than 6 months?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I would love to visit the UK soon and for a short period. Say 2 weeks or less.

Thanks for your patience.

Because of your previous complications attempt to enter the UK I would strongly advise that you apply for a visitor’s visa as a Canadian citizen prior to the visit.

I appreciate that normally Canadian citizens do not have to apply for visas for short visits, but when they arrive at the UK their entry to the UK is still subject to the entry clearance officers being satisfied that a breach of the immigrations rules will not occur so even they could be refused.

I would forget about the efforts of the consulates frankly, it has probably been forgotten about and its better to deal with the situation by way of a visitor’s visa application.

In the application and it’s covering letter you should explain about the earlier rejections and refusal, explaining that your entry was simply your attempt to enter in the normal way that other Canadian Citizens do and was not an attempt to deceive them. It is very importnant that the attempted entry was for visit purposes only and not to work or study (this would be a breach of the immigration rules.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that you have continuing obligations in your home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that you are not a risk of overstay. Things like a letter from your employer stating you have a job (if she does) and are expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money you have available and evidence of other responsibilities that you have which will continue after the visit.

I would also submit character reference from professional persons who know you and can testify to your good character.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions