How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 34283
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello JA My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an indian national

This answer was rated:

Hello JA
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an indian national living and working in uk on a work visa for last 3 years. I got married in India in June 2011 and brought my husband in uk on dependant visa. My husband left uk in July 2012 and is not very cooperative about anything. He neither wants to go ahead with divorce in india nor does he want to come here. Can I apply for divorce in uk? And what is the procedure for that?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
Since you are resident in the UK and have been for than 12 months then you can issue a Petition based upon his Unreasonable Behaviour.
You will need to arrange to have the paperwork served personally upon your husband
You can find the process described here
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say that I need to serve paperwork personally, do you mean that I'll have to send the papers to him on my own?
I mean that you will need to arrange for the papers to be served upon him by a Process server so that you have evidence that he has seen them
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. And what type of solicitor should I approach to help me with the process? A divorce or immigration?
You need to instruct a Family law solicitor as this is not an immigration matter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks so much for your help Claire.
You are most welcome
Clare and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you