How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a child is born abroad to a British citizen who has the

This answer was rated:

if a child is born abroad to a British citizen who has the right of abode in the UK, will the child acquire a "British other than by descent" passport?

if the child is born in the UK isntead of overseas, does this change the situation?,
On what basis do you have Right of Abode? A child being born in the UK can change processes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am a british citizen born in the UK but living abroad. I have a full british passport.

My question is if my child is born abroad, will he be entitled to a full british passport as well?


if the child is not entitled to a full british passort as he is born abroad, would the situation change if he were born in the UK instead?


I hope this is clearer now

So you were born in the UK to British parents?

If so then if your child is born outside the UK he will be entitled to a British Passport and will be British by descent.

If he is born in the UK he will also be entitled to a British passport but he will be British other than by descent. This is preferable. Generally speaking, those who are not born in the UK (British by descent) can only pass Citizenship down to the generation below them to children born outside the UK.

So, if the child can be born in the UK then do so but either way your child should be entitled to a British passport.

Applications for a passport from overseas can be made here:
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you