How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a British citizen working in Canada where I met my now

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen working in Canada where I met my now Russian wife.
We plan to visit uk soon, what is her immigration status now? We are both over retirement age but still working in Canada on current work visa's.
What is your wife's nationality and what passports does she hold?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Russian Citizen
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only Russian passport...
Being married to a British Citizen will not give her any additional rights to enter the UK compared to any other Russian Citizen wishing to visit. She will need to apply for a visitor visa in the usual way. You can of course support this by providing evidence of the relationship and making clear that this is a joint visit. The usual criteria will apply to the visit visa application in terms of her showing that she can afford the trip and that she has ties to Canada (usually work) to convince the caseworker that she is likely to leave the UK in accordance with the terms of a visitor visa.

Does this answer your question fully?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So being married to uk citizen changes nothing regarding traveling.
She is treated as a foreign national. How can that be changed, by applying for residency/citizenship..?
Absolutely correct. Her citizenship is not changed simply by marriage. If you wanted to live and perhaps work in the UK together then she would need to get a Spouse visa:

The simplest way to do this is by meeting the Financial requirement through sufficient levels of savings but there is little point in obtaining this visa until such time as you want to live here permanently. Your question related to a visit to the UK.

Once a Spouse visa has been obtained she could apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) once she has been living in the UK for at least five years with this visa status. One year after this she could apply for Citizenship.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you