How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i wanted to find out my husband is on a spouse visa soon

This answer was rated:

Hi i wanted to find out my husband is on a spouse visa soon he will be applying for indefinite currently he is not working and i am on maternity leave, i have two children and on maternity leave, i also have found out that i am expected again. i receive housing benefit. would that affect his visa application?
If you are receiving benefits to which you are entitled as a British Citizen then this is perfectly acceptable and should have no particular impact upon your husband's application. This assumes that you informed the benefits office of your husband's immigration status when applying for housing benefit - you should be the claimant - not you and your husband.

Remember that he is the applicant and he needs to meet the criteria. He is the one who must not have recourse to public funds. The ability to support yourselves without recourse to public funds is important and he should ideally have a job of some description when applying although caseworkers are not going to refuse solely on financial grounds.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so basically you are saying as i am a british citizen and also i am the applicant who is claiming housing benefit not my husband it should not be a problem?

Sort of, although you are not an applicant at all. I am saying that the applicant is the one who must not claim benefits and the applicant is your husband.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my uncle has a firm and he has said he will keep him as a part time employer soon next week sometimes.

currently he has about 4 months before his visa expires, if he starts working does he need to show the payslips and if for how many months? i heard you need to show 6 months of bank statements and payslips?


You should show the most recent 6 months but you can only show what you have. It is not a breach of conditions to be unemployed - if he has only had the most recent 4 months employed at the time of application then it would not be a reason for refusal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your help.

i have a few more question to clear, hope you dont mind.

would i need to show my payslips? or any documents? like i did previously when applying for my husbands visa?


do you think they will take into consideration that i have 3 children?



It is a good idea to show the family's financial situation. You will note that the SET(M) form asks questions about your income as well as your husband's income. Everything stated on the form should be evidenced.

The primary concerns for this application are that you are both still married and living together and that there is no likely immediate recourse to public funds. It is a relatively straightforward application and you are likely to be more concerned than you need to be.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you very much. :)

i know this is going to sound dumb, but have u received your payment?

you were great help

It doesn't sound dumb at all. You need to rate the service that I have provided so that I can receive payment.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions