How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im working in London, got my Tier 2 ICT visa on April

This answer was rated:

I'm working in London, got my Tier 2 ICT visa on April 23rd, 2013.
Is it possible for me to switch my visa to Tier 2 General without leaving the country and waiting for cooling-off period to pass? What options do I have?

What type of ICT visa do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I forgot to mention it - it is long-term staff


Are you with your spouse? If so, what category are they on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, dependent


Thanks for your patience.

I'm afraid if you refer to the policy guidance on the following page you will see at paragraph 15 on page 4 the position is confirmed:-

You will note that you have to refer to footnote 4 under the table.

It confirms that you are not permitted to switch in to Tier 2 General if you were granted your Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long Term Staff visa under the rules in place after 6 April 2011. This appears to be what you have and therefore you have no automatic right to switch in to Tier 2.

Therefore, it appears that your application would be rejected by the UKBA and the fee retained for this reason.

The UKBA are very strict on non-permitted switch and, though it’s very frustrating, I think you may have to reconcile yourself with that fact.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you