How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filled out the UK passport application after receiving

This answer was rated:

I have filled out the UK passport application after receiving confirmation that I hold British Citizenship by Descent. I just have a few specific questions before I send in that hefty, non-refundable fee.

1. The application asks me to surrender/attach my current US passport which I don't want to do because, ideally, I'd like dual citizenship. Plus, what if my UK passport is denied. I'd be without a passport.

2. It asks me to submit my ORIGINAL birth certificate and my Dad's ORIGINAL long-version of his UK birth certificate and my parent's ORIGINAL full marriage certificate. Here's what I have: a certified copy (with seal) of my birth certificate, a normal xeroxed copy of my Dad's birth certificate (seems like the UK could verify it's authenticity since he was born there - he doesn't know where the original is) and no one has any idea where my parent's marriage license and divorce documents are since they were divorced 42 years ago when I was a toddler.

3. Finally, I don't know anyone British here in the US who could act as a counter signatory. Additionally, I don't know anyone in the US who is in a similar circumstance as me. Who could I use to be a counter signatory? Is this part absolutely necessary?

Those are my only concerns. Can someone please help???

Thank you!

Cary Daniels

Is your father still alive?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, he's still alive, but we are estranged. I could probably reach him in an emergency.

Hi Cary

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that attaching your passport is unavoidable. Attaching your passport does not mean that you are relinquishing your citizenship, they just need it to verify who you are absolutely. There is no getting around this unfortunately. You should ensure that your documents are sent by registered post or courier so that they are insured.

Once the application is determinate they will be returned to you. .

If you have a certified copy of your birth certificate under seal which was issued to you upon birth then this should fine.

A Xeroxed copy of your father’s birth certificate will not be accepted though. You should be able to obtain a certified copy of your father’s birth certificate from the General Registry Office here in the UK, though you may need to explain the purpose for which you are asking for it:-

I would imagine you should also be able to obtain a certified copy of your parents marriage certified directly from whichever registry district married them. You are going to have to do some digging to find it I’m afraid.

Technically speaking I do not think that they can refuse a passport on the grounds of of a lack of counter signatory from a British Person. In the first instances I would see if there is any such commonwealth citizen who is willing to be your counter signatory

If you do not know any such persons then I would see if you can get a US signatory from an appropriate professional friend and explain the position in your covering letter after you have gathered the remaining evidence.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Hi Cary,

Sorry the correct link to Commonwealth countries here:-

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. I was able to order all the documents I need. The only thing I don't understand is the countersignatory. And I went to the Commonwealth site but don't know what I should be looking for and what I should ask. I see the US is not on the list, so am I basically asking a stranger to vouch for me? Who could I get here in the US to be a counter signatory? Lots of people have known me all my life but the passport application seems to want someone pretty specific to sign it and it doesn't seem like I know that type of person. That's the last thing I'm concerned about. Thanks again for your help. You've been great!


You should look at the countries who are commonwealth member states to see if you know anybody who can be your counter signatory. If you do not know anybody can you do not really have a choice. You would then have to see if there is someone of authority in the united states,ideally an attorney who would be able to be your counter signatory.

You would have to submit a covering letter explaining that you are not able to find a traditional counter signatory but that it should not be regarded as preventing your application for citizenship.

Please remember to rate my answer

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you