How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my question is this,i wish to apply for british citizenship

Customer Question

my question is this,

i wish to apply for british citizenship application under five years residency rule.
i have criminal record.

1. drving without insurance in august 2005, 2. drink driving in december 2005, 3. january 2008 fixed penalty notice, 4. drink driving in march 2008, 5. march 2008 providing non valid driving insurance cover note for car, 6. banned driver in june 2008, 7. police caution in july 2008, lastly court charge me for dvla non tax vehicle in august 2008 (i came to know about this offence last month, i paid the fine immediatly).

could you please advise me that i qualify for naturalization, i speak with few solicitors they said to me your convistions is expired now. i need your expert opionion.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.

Most Court convictions for an adult that result in a fine will be considered spent after 5 years. A disqualification will become spent after the period of the disqualification (when you are allowed to drive again after being banned, for example).


If you want to see what is held on record then you can request a Police Subject Access Request (contact your local police for assistance) and also a basic criminal record check through (a few different to English Law but still extremely useful).


It is very important that you exercise full disclosure in your application. You can be refused for not disclosing a relevant fact even if that fact would not have resulted in refusal of your application. There is not a requirement to disclose spent convictions.


Does this answer your question?

Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
I note that you have viewed my answer but not rated the service received. Please could you do so - ratings not only help me but they help other customers to know what level of service they can expect to receive.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions