How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen whos been living in the UK since 1986.

This answer was rated:

I am a Canadian citizen who's been living in the UK since 1986. I obtained an Entry Certificate (UK Grandparent) in 1986. In 2008, I applied for and obtained an indefinire Residence Permit. My Canadian passport expired and I now have a new Canadian passport. I contacted UK Border Agency to find out what I need to do and was advised I need to apply for a new Residence Permit. However, when looking at the qualification criteria it does not seem to me that I am eligible for a Certificate of Entitlement. I wonder if I am missing something, whether I am in fact eligible and what route I need to follow.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Are you querying about having your old indefinite leave to remain transferred to your new Canada passport?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. UK Border Agency information and their email indicate I need to make a fresh application to get a new permit added to my new Canadian passport.

Thank you for your reply.

What would happen is that the home office do not now issue a vignette in the passport what they do is issued what is called a biometric residence card. This is a card which have your photograph and status stated on the card. If you wish for your status to be issued on a biometric residence card then you need to use the following form, form NTL please see the following link :

However, if you wish you can just apply for British citizenship as you have been resident in the uk for over 5 years and have indefinite leave to remain. If this is not what you wish then use the link above and apply for your status to be issued on a biometric residence card.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you