How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How complicated is it to relocate a family of 5(2 adults, 3

This answer was rated:

How complicated is it to relocate a family of 5(2 adults, 3 children) from Winnipeg, MB, Canada to the United Kingdom?

Do either of the parents have any British ancestry?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My grandmother comes from the UK, but we don't know or have any contact with any family that may still reside there.


Was your grandmother a UK citizen after being born in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My grandmother did not maintain her citizenship, but I just learned that my great grandfather and great grandmother maintained their citizenship for their entire life and my great grandfather was a member of the armed forces in the UK.


Where and when were your grandparents born please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just found out that I was mistaken, my grandmother was actually born in Canada. It's my great grandparents that are from England, but I'm not sure where specifically or when they came over to Canada, but it would have to be late 1890's to early 1900's at the absolute latest as I'm certain that my grandmother was born prior to 1910, but do not know the exact date.


Thanks for your patience.

If neither grandparent was a UK citizen then you would not be able to apply for a Ancestry Visa, which would have been the easiest way.

If you wished to work in the UK and do not have access to significant funds for investment, are not married/in a relationship with a UK national/foreign national or person with ILR then you would most probably be looking at applying for a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa.

If you were willing to invest £200,000.00 in to UK business the you could apply for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, and I can give you further details on this.

This means that you would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions