Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

I have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in

I have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in my current USA passport, the passport expires in September this year. I would like to transfer the certificate to my new passport , how and were do I apply.
Thanks, Nigel
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Does your right of abode have an expiry date?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has my current passport number XXXXXXXXX a reference number 7X245341, some other number 2 (1) (a)1981, a signature and the date of issue 26 January 2004. No expiration date.
Expiry dates are irrelevant, hence my decision to post.

A certificate of right of abode expires with the passport. You need to get a new passport and then apply for a new certificate - it cannot be transferred.

Guide to applying in or out of the UK:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/right-of-abode/certificate-entitlement/
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.