Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Is it true that the UK government will give more credence to

Is it true that the UK government will give more credence to a marriage in Hong Kong between a UK national and a Filipina, as opposed to a marriage in the Philippines between a UK national and a Filipina, if the newly married couple are to apply for a visa for the wife when traveling to the UK?
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Basically provided the marriage is legally binding in the country in which it is carried out then the marriage will be regarded as being legally binding by the UKBA. Which is to say that the UKBA will not distinguish between the two.

A person is either legally married or they are not. There are not degrees to which a person is married.

So, if a marriage occurs in the foreign country then it will binding provided that it is carried out in accordance with the form required or recognised as sufficient
by the law of the country where the marriage was carried out.

Basically, if the marriage is legally binding in the country where they marriage was carried out then it will be legally binding in the UK.

Marriage carried out in the Philippines in this way will be held just as legally binding as a marriage carried out this way in Hong Kong.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

An additional question that I have, is:

Would the only way my wife be able to visit any Shengen country without having to apply for a visa, be when she is already a UK citizen?

I believe so, but you may consider checking with the immigration authorities for the individual countries.

Thanks for rating my answer.

Kind regards

Tom