How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Youth mobility scheme Visa Hi Dear, While the applicant

This answer was rated:

Youth mobility scheme Visa
Hi Dear,

While the applicant is in the UK under the youth mobility scheme, applicant cannot switch into any other category of the points-based system or into a visitor route. When applicant’s visa expires at the end of the 24 months, applicant cannot extend his/her stay.

1)Does that mean that the applicant can’t apply during that period for any other visa category within the UK?

2) Are they allowed to make other category of application application, i.e. Tier 2 or Tier 1 if they leave the UK and make this application from their own country while they still hold the valid Youth mobility scheme Visa?
Or do they have to wait until their visa expiry date to make other category of application from their own country?
3) While they are under the Youth mobility scheme Visa are they allowed to travel, i.e. visit their home and come back to the UK?

Thank you

Thanks for asking for me.


With regard to your questions:


1. Correct, the holder of a YMS visa must leave the UK at the end of the visa period.


2. A new visa application can be made from outside the UK at any time. If approved the new visa replaces the old visa and the old visa becomes invalid.


3. They are allowed to leave and come back to the UK as often as they want.

Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions