How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I am a citizen of Croatia and am married to a UK citizen.

This answer was rated:

I am a citizen of Croatia and am married to a UK citizen. Myself and my 6-year-old son applied for visas to remain in the UK with my husband. My son was immediately granted IRL, but I was granted a 2-year leave
to remain. My visa expires on 30th June. Croatia fully enters the EU on the 1st July and from that date, as I've been told, Croatian spouses will no longer need visas to remain. So, what should I do? It seems ludicrous spending so much money and time on applying for IRL, if only a day after my visa expires, all of it won't be necessary anyway.
Could you, please, advise?
Thank you
I recommend that you read the following documents:

The intention is to impose transitional arrangements but as you will already be in the UK and married to a British Citizen you will not be subject to these restrictions. You might already know this but I felt it was making clear just in case.

There are many situations where you do not need a visa BUT having one makes it simpler when entering the UK or when applying for a job. For example, if you did not bother to get work authorisation then an employer might not realise that you did not need to do so because you were already here, but having work authorisation makes it easy for the employer to know that they can employ you.

So I would say that there is no need for you to apply BUT you might choose to do so for convenience. If you do not then it is probably worth having a printout of the rules to confirm the facts regarding your rights based on already being here and your passport will of course make clear when you entered.

Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry, but the legal jargon eludes me. Can you just clarify, i don't need to apply for a visa?

Also, as I understood it, as a spouse of a UK citizen, I wouldn't have any restrictions to working in the UK?

Basically, I am fine as is, and I don't have to apply for a visa at all?


As you are already here you are exempt from the transitional restrictions, so you do not have to apply for a visa and you can work.

If an employer is not sure about your right to work then you can show them the document I provided and your passport to confirm you had entered the UK before the new rules.

Does that answer your question?
Howard and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much, you've been great!