How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we have a client who wishes to sponsor his wife he is a owner

This answer was rated:

we have a client who wishes to sponsor his wife he is a owner director of a company we are AAT qualified is this acceptable to UKBA

What nationality is the husband?

Where is he based?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

British Citizen by birth Newcastle upon Tyne


When you say "sponosor", do you mean for a spouse visa OR for a work visa?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

spouse visa


Thanks for your patience.

It is acceptable but they must ensure that they meet the immigration eligibility criteria for a spouse visa and then evidence this eligibility with comprehensive supporting documents. Most applications fail because the supporting documents actually sent to the UKBA are insufficient to prove eligibility.

If the application is well prepared and they meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That they are legally married to each other
• 2. They are (or will be) present and settled in the UK
• 3.They intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. They can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. They have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by them any help from public funds
• They must meet the financial requirement:-
• Further guidance:-

• This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.
• If he has savings above £62, 500.00 which he has held for 6 months then he need not demonstrate any other income.
• If he has received a salaried income by being employed as a director of the company for the last full financial year above the rate of £18, 600.00 then meets the criteria in this way. He can also use income received in the form of dividends for the last full financial year to meet the threshold.
• She will also have to meet the English language requirement:
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from any employer stating that he has a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets they hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between them showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where they will live or that they can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.

• Further information here:-

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will the accounts prepared and submitted by our firm accepetable or do we need to be a member of a UK recognised body under the companies act 2006


If you refer to Section 9 of the following guidance on page 47 I'm afriad that you will see that it must be account from an accountant who is a
member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006):-

Please remember to rate my answer.

I have to go offline for about 45 mins now unfortunately.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can we verify the accounts from a member of the uk recognised body thank you

You will have to see if they are willing to issue the certificate referred to in the section on my previous post. I should think that they would only be prepared to do so if the satisfy themselves as to the audit itself. So they would effectively so a re-audit.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards