How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in UK from June 2011 till April 2012 on ICT Tier 2 Short

This answer was rated:

I was in UK from June 2011 till April 2012 on ICT Tier 2 Short term visa. On 14th April my short term visa expired and I return to India. On June 2012 I got into ICT long term dependent of my wife and starting working for same organisation (we both work for same organisaion). I want to know that as 12 months have passed by, can I apply for ICT tier 2 short term Visa?

UKVisas :

I presume you are aware that you cannot apply from within the UK but would instead have to apply from outside the UK (usually in your home country).

About to continue in Q&A.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am aware of the fact that I will have to apply from my home country however Just want to confirm that as I was in UK for last 12 months on ICT tier 2 long term staff DEPENDENT category, will this 12 months be considered as cooling off period and I will be able to apply immediately once I got to India for ICT tier 2 short term.

Under the Short Term ICT rules you cannot apply for another Short Term ICT until either 12 months have passed from the expiry date of your previous Short Term ICT or you have been outside the UK for 12 months, whichever is sooner.


So yes, you can apply for another Short Term ICT but, as you know, you must do so from outside the UK.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX confirm if I go back to India I can immediately switch from dependent to my own short term visa.


Thanks a lot for confirming this.

Technically it would not be a switch but yes, you can return to India and immediately apply for another Short Term ICT.

You don't have to answer, but is your employer instigating repeated use of the Short Term route? Long Term might make more sense in most circumstances.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My annual salary is less than 40K and I am about to end my relation with my wife so just wanted to check I can enter into ICT short team.

Got it - assumed there was a good reason but never hurts to ask to ensure that you have all options and information you might need.

Good luck!
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you