How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i wanna apply for uk visa but have been formerly removed from

This answer was rated:

i wanna apply for uk visa but have been formerly removed from uk to nigerian but now my status has change and i live in usa and am married
What visa do you wish to apply for?

What nationality if your wife?

What were the reasons for your removal please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my wife is a US Citizen while am a US permanent Residency,i just wanna apply for a visit visa or tourist visa so me and my wife go there for vacation, i overstated my visa there and was send back to nigeria but now seem my status has change will that mean anything for now or just wait till i get my naturalization in 3 years


Thanks for your patience.

If you have previously overstayed your visa then this is a general ground that the UKBA can use to refuse your visitor’s visa now. The overstay was a breach of the immigration rules so it’s highly likely that the UKBA would reject yoru application on this basis.

Additionally, I note you refer to being “removed” from the UK. I assume you mean deported and if this is the case then you will also have been given a re-entry ban from reapplying for the a visa to the UK. Depending on how you left this ban would either be for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.

It’s highly, highly likely that you would be refused at the moment.

Although US citizens do not require to apply for visitor’s visas in order to come to the UK for short visits the right to get leave to remain is technically discretionary. This means that it may be granted when they arrive in the UK but if the UKBA suspect a breach of an immigration rules will occur or there are other reasons why the person should be refused entry then they may do so.

Therefore, although you will be a US citizen it is still possible that you might be refused entry when you attempt to travel here. Although, you probably stand a better chance of getting in when you are a US citizen than now to be honest.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you