How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I would like some information about re-entering the UK

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like some information about re-entering the UK after a work permit expires. I intend to return as a legitimate tourist and complete the travel that I haven't been able to do whilst working long hours. I had the opportunity to apply for ILR, but don't intend to stay here after August / September. I will leave when my visa expires in June, then come back for three months. I can support myself with funds, have a place to stay and don't intend to work. I have documentation to demonstrate this also (P45 / bank statements / address information). Upon leaving I'll continue traveling and eventually return home. I can't find any information to suggest that I'm breaking any rules or doing anything wrong in making these plans - is this correct?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Yes,that is correct, you are able to return to the UK as a general visitor, provided you can show the home office that you intend to return to your home country and do not intend to breach any of your visa conditions.

I'm respect of visitors the home office wants to ensure that they have the intention of returning to their home country, so provided you can satisfy the immigration officers you will not have any issues with returning on a visit visa.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
..One thing I forgot to mention, I'm Australian but am going to migrate to the US in 6mths. At this point it makes it a little difficult to plan onward travel as I intend to go to the US in Sept for job interviews, etc - then return to Australia in November. I had hoped that I could show travel to Europe as my intention to leave the UK, however I'm now starting to learn that multi entry to the UK over a three month period is frowned upon. Is this correct? or is my original intent to leave by mid Sept ( supported by documentation) sufficient??
Thank you for your reply.

There is no restriction on the number of visits a person may make to the UK nor any requirement that a specified time must elapse between successive visits.  However, the Immigration Rules state that the applicant must show that they do not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent and successive visits.  

An immigration officer must consider the reason for a series of visits with only brief intervals outside the UK between each visit.  The immigration officer must consider the purpose of the visit against the time elapsed between visits  and  the duration of previous visits to the UK. 

There is no Rule that states a visitor can only remain in the UK for 6 out of any 12 months, but an immigration officer must examine the pattern and frequency of visits to see that it does not amount to de facto residence.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, that helps a great deal - thankyou. In regards to the 6mths out of 12mths : I'd imagine that this only relates to me returning as a visitor, and not the time I've lived in the UK this year and previous as a resident with a Work Permit??

Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is correct, it is only in relation to you visit the uk as a visitor.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards