UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hi. Im an Australian, currently working and living in the

Hi. I'm an Australian, currently working and living in the UK on a youth mobility visa, tier 5 since September 2011. My partner is Australian and is also working in the UK on an ancestry visa. We have been together for 6 years and have lived together in both Australia and the UK for 5 years. What visa options are available for me so that I can stay in the UK after my visa expires in September this year? I have done some research and it appears that the 'leave for a dependent of an ancestry visa holder' seems the only option. Is this correct? Also, do I need to fly back to Australia to apply for this visa or can I apply from the UK? Thank you, Nicole
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Yes you are correct leave to remain in the uk on the basis of your partner currently in the uk would be the best option for you to remain in the uk.

In respect of applying, you would need to return to your home country and submit an application for leave to enter as a dependent of your partner. You are unable to submit an application from inside the UK. Please see following link :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/uk-ancestry/apply-visa/

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that my answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. However, the visa I was referred to is the FLR (O) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/flr/flro_formnew0420091.pdf, which is different to the one you showed me. Can I apply for either? What is the difference between them? Why do I need to apply in my home country?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately this form would be correct if you were applying as the main applicant. But in your case you would not be able to apply as a dependent unless you had already been in a dependent category on the main applicant .Therefore in your case you would not be able to switch into the dependant category and would need to apply from outside the uk.

Kind regards