How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello! My fiancee and I are both US residents. We are getting

This answer was rated:

Hello! My fiancee and I are both US residents. We are getting married in Scotland in August as a destination wedding. We have already sent documents to the registrar, and have a humanist officiant. Is there any sort of Visa that we must apply for to get married in Scotland? We were under the assumption that since it was a destination wedding, we are not UK citizens, and we have no intention of living in the UK, we didn't need one. Is that correct?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.Just to confirm the only reason for your visit to scotland is for the purpose of marriage and then you will return to the US?Kind regards
Thank you for your reply.

If either partner is not already in the UK, they will need to obtain a visa before they come to the UK to marry or register their civil partnership, unless you:

Are a British citizen; or are a national of a country in the European

Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or the family member of a national of the EEA who has the right of residence in the UK; or

Have a certificate of entitlement in your passport, giving them the right to live in the UK; or are not subject to immigration control.

In your therefore although you are non-visa nationals, this applies in respect of arriving to the UK for the purpose of tourism. In your case you will be arriving to the UK to marry and therefore would require to obtain a visa prior to arriving to the UK.

You would need to apply for a marriage visa, please see the following link:

To come to the UK as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership, you must also be able to show that:

• you are 18 or over;
• you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months;
• you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• you intend to get married or register a civil partnership during your visit;
• you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
• you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
• you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
You must produce evidence, if asked, of the arrangements for your wedding or civil partnership ceremony in the UK.

You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

• live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits;
• take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
• do a course of study;
• carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or
• receive private medical treatment.

Provided you meet the above requirements you will be able to obtain a marriage visa to marry in the UK. You will be able to marry or register a civil partnership in any location licensed for this purpose. Please see the following link for further information:

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions