UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

We were granted Indefinate Leave to Remain status from Limited

We were granted Indefinate Leave to Remain status from Limited Leave to Remain last year. Before that we've got refugee status. Since my country situation has improved , I'm just wondering if we could visit back to the country of origin with ILR. Is ILR different between people who get it from refugee status and people who get if from normal way?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Did you get indefinite leave to remain on a travel document?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't applied for the travel document yet.
Thank you for your reply.

Do you still hold a valid passport for your country?
If not what country passport do you hold?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
UKBA lost all of our passports during the process. I'm originally from Myanmar. So I don't hold any passport at the moment. What I'm not sure is if I go back to my country, will I still be able to come back to the UK as I'm still studying and worried that I won't be able to come back.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, what usually happens is that individuals are issued with travel documents because the country they are nationals of do not issue them with passports. Please see following link :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum/outcomes/successfulapplications/traveldocuments/

But provided that you are a national of the country from which you seek asylum and are able to obtain a passport, you can transfer the indefinite leave to remain in your passport and then you are able to travel to your home country and return but in some cases there have been some issues and questioning by an immigration officer upon return.

What you may wish to do is wait a year from the date you obtained indefinite leave to remain and just apply for British citizenship. This maybe the best option for you as it will give you a peace of mind when you return to the UK.

There is however a risk because if you do get issued with the nationality of your home country upon your return you may be questioned as to the current situation in your country and when you obtained nationality and how your indefinite leave to remain was granted. I would therefore wait and obtain British citizenship before you leave the uk.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for the information. There's no doubt that I would rate you excellent. Your answer is well explained.However, I have still got some questions to ask if you don't mind.

I don't want to apply the british citizenship as I prefer to keep my country citiezenship as my country doesn't accept dual. As you said if I transfer the indefinite leave to remain into my country's passport and travel back to my country, is there any chance that I would get rejected entry to UK when I'm back. And for the transfer of ILR status to country passport, which embassy should I go to my country's embassy or UK embassy?
Thank you very much for your reply.

The fact that you obtained indefinite leave to remain means that you are able to travel outside and return to the UK. The only issue is obtaining your own country's nationality, as when you return the immigration MAY ask you questions, but in most cases it should not be a problem.

In respect of having your indefinite leave to remain transfered to your new passport, what you need to do is once you have obtained a new passport, you need to send this along with the indefinite leave to remain to the home office. The home office will then transfer the indefinite leave to remain in your new passport. Please see following link :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/transfer-visa-to-passport/completing-form-NTL-TOC/

You must use form NTL please see the above link.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just one more question to ask.Does it mean that ILR granted from refugee status and ILR granted from normal way, for example, working visa, is the same? My mother applied for travel document and on it said that she's not allowed to visit back to the country of origin.Now she also granted the ILR and can she do the same thing that you suggested above even if she has a travel document.

Thank you so much.
Thank you for your reply.

Essentially the reasons why indefinite leave to remain is granted are taken into account . But if your mother has been issued a travel document then she can apply for the indefinite leave to remain stamp and do as I stated above as the travel document is only valid for 5 years.

Kind regards