How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend is an overstayer (8 years in UK), we want to marry.

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend is an overstayer (8 years in UK), we want to marry. How can we marry?

Thanks for your question.

What is your nationality please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



THanks for your reply.

There is no restriction on you marrying him. Previously he would have had to apply for a Certificate of Approval to marry. However, this has now been abolished:-

You will see this confirmed above.

Therefore, all you need do is go to see a registrar at a registry office and provde your identities and addresses. You will then have to give the appropriate notice of your marriage and once you have done this you are free to marry.

In order to regularise his stay in the UK you would have to meet the eligibilty criteria for a spouse visa.

The UKBA page on spouse visas is here but he will probably have to return to his home country in order to apply:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you