Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

I am a British born and bred, left when I was 21yrs to work

I am a British born and bred, left when I was 21yrs to work in Iceland had a Son born in Iceland ,Son registered with British embassy birth certificate also has Icelandic birth certificate,has a British passport,he has never worked or lived or any education in Briton,my son just went to vote in parliamentary elections for first time and has been told that he does not exist on the government voting registry,even when they checked his legal address and his social security number. what status is his nationality because if he is British he has never had a national security number.
Thank you for your question. there is no question at all about this nationality provided he was born after 1983. he is a British Citizen by descent and that is reflected in the fact that he has a British passport.

national Insurance numbers and so on are issued only if you live and work in the UK. Whilst you sensibly registered his birth there is no legal requirement to do so. He has citizenship as a matter of law anyway. There is no reason for him to have been issued with a NI number.

Eligibility to vote depends ot soem extent on residence and he is only eligible to vote if you or he were registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years. Otherwise as an overseas resident he has no right to vote.