UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

I was born in Tanzania but left when I was 20 and have lived

Customer Question
I was born in Tanzania...

I was born in Tanzania but left when I was 20 and have lived in UK for over 30 years. I've got an Irish passport and Irish citizenship. I want very much to obtain a Tanzanian passport also and have been told by an old school friend who is living in Dar es Salaam that I can get a Tanzanian passport and still keep my Irish passport because my school friend has connections in the passport office in Dar and the passport officers will make a " special concession for me the same as for the diplomats"that will allow me to get a Tanzanian passport and still keep my Irish passport. I believe my friend as she would not lie but my wife says Tanzania does not allow this and I cannot get a Tanzania passport unless I forfeit my Irish passport and that my friend is lying. Please advise

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
3/26/2013
Solicitor: Fran-mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
please I will continue to wait. Thanks
Solicitor: Fran-mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Solicitor: Thomas, Solicitor replied 4 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Hi
Thanks for your patience.
I’m afraid that presently the Tanzanian government does not allow dual citizenship with other countries. This has been the case for a while but I believe that s7(4) of the Citizenship Act prohibits this by statute.
I understand that there has been speculation that the position might change in the future, there seems to be some political discourse about allowing it because it’s not really economically sensible.
You should keep an eye online for the main papers of Tanzania and see if it comes up in the political news, but I don’t think you can get Tanzanian citizenship as it stands because you already have UK citizenship
Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.
If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.
Kind regards,
Tom
FAO Tom. Thank you for your reply but my question was asking if the Tanzanian Government/agent can give " a special concession for me the same as diplomats have" to allow me to have both a Tanzania passport and retain the UK passport. I am aware already that Tanzania does not allow dual citizenship but wanted to find out if there were exceptions to this as my old school friend in Dar tells me i.e. "special concession that allow diplomats to get a Tanzanian passport or special pass" and keep their other passport also. Just need to know if this special passport exists and there are exceptions or if my friend is lying as my wife seems to think. Thanks Jose
I'm afriad that you would have to consult with a Tanzanian lawyer about that. There are none on this site and you have posted your question to UK Immigration law.
It's possible that the government may afford some diplomats the right to hold other passports, simply so as to make the required travel for their job easier for them.
I doubt that they would make it available to anyone who is not a diplomat frankly, which would rule your wife out. In any event even if such a concession were available I woudl prceed with extreme caution simply because presumably she values her UK citizenship and does not want to inadvertantly give it up.
I woudl until the dual citizenship law changes in Tanzania basically. Her friend might be genuinely mistaken as opposed to actually lying about the position.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Tom
FAO Tom. Thanks for your reply. Just for clarity the passport was for me not my wife. My wife maintains that this is not possible. My question to the experts for which I was expecting an answer was is it possible. Unfortunately the experts have not answered my question. Regards, Jose
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
My question has not been answered
FAO Tom. Since your answer does not satisfactorily answer my question please can you open it up to other experts who maybe able to help. Thanks Jose
Solicitor: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Wendy-Mod

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy

I'm willing to wait for a satisfactory answer to my question. Thank you. Jose
Solicitor: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your patience, Jose. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Solicitor: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
I will wait while you continue searching for a professional to answer my question. Thank you. Jose
Solicitor: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Thank you again for your patience, Jose. We will continue our search.

Regards,
Wendy
Solicitor: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.

Regards,
Wendy
Thank you. I appreciate your efforts and sorry that you were unable to answer my question. Jose
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor