How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I came to UK in december 2007 as a student visitor,

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I came to UK in december 2007 as a student visitor, and then left UK in april 2008. Re-entered in august 2008 as a student and then switched to PSW and currently on Tier 1 general since april 2011. I wish you know when is it possible to apply for naturalization and is ILR needed for naturalization as I would have already spent 6 years in UK in dec 2013. thanks

Thanks for your patience.

I’m terribly sorry but I’m afraid that I have bad news for you.

In order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation you must be “free from immigration time restrictions”. Please refer to the heading title “immigration time restrictions” on the following link for confirmation:-

This means that you must hold indefinite leave to remain in order to be eligible to apply and must have held it for at least 12 months before you apply for naturalisation..

I am sorry but you do not qualify to apply for ILR at the moment. No time spent in the UK on a visitor’s visa is permitted to count towards time required to apply for ILR. Similarly this is the case with student visas.

Even the time you have spent on your PSW visa does not count towards ILR I regret to say:-

The only way any of the time on your student visa or PSW would be permitted to count would be if you were applying for ILR on the basis of long residence, for which the time required is 10 years.

As it stands if you wish to apply for ILR and ultimately for naturalisation then you would have to wait until you have reached 5 years on your Tier 1 general visa.

I am sorry,

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Thanks for your response. What are the conditions for long stay ILR then? I think I would be able to apply the Long Stay ILR only after 2017, but ILR on the basis of Tier1 General on 2016. What do you advise? Thanks.


It's basically that you must have a continuous chain of legal leave to remain in the UK for a period of ten years. Your time on a visitor's visa would not be permitted to count because you left the UK for a considerable period of time.

So, I presume that the earliest that you coudl apply on the basis of long resdence would be August 2018, so it's probable that you will be eligible for ILR under your Tier 1 visa once you have reached 5 years on that..

PLease remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you